It's bright and shiny 2013 and I am so excited to spend a whole new year with you. I've got many exciting posts and surprises planned for the year, so grab your gift wrap and bows, and come along for the ride!
My husband turned 35 and I wanted to do something fun and special for him. If you have been reading the blog for a while, you might remember the fun gift that I made for his 34th birthday.
This year's gift took a lot of planning.
One gift a day for 35 days, as a countdown to the big birthday. The gifts weren't all fancy, or expensive, and I didn't want any of the items to be useless junk. At first I was worried I wasn't going to be able to come up with 35 small gift ideas that were thoughtful and inexpensive, but I managed!
2. Starbucks gift card
3. A tub of ice and 6 cold beer waiting on the deck on a hot afternoon
5. Energy gel (a running thing - we have a family of avid runners)
6. A printed map with directions to the Ghostbuster's firehouse (for our upcoming trip to NYC)
7. A certificate for an evening off - no parenting or household duties
8. A lotto ticket
9. Rachel Ray's "Book of Burger"
10. Homemade shortbread cookies
11. A certificate for a movie night with snacks
12. A photo
13. A lucky penny - since Canada has decided to eliminate the penny, I found a penny minted in his birth year
14. Chocolate bar
15. A certificate for ice cream treats
16. A birthday video memory made with our daughter
17. A music download for a jazz musician we saw together a few years ago
18. A birthday letter from me
19. A certificate for a lunch date
20. A cedar BBQ board for grilling salmon
21. A certificate for take-out for supper that night
22. A photo album with photos from his childhood
23. A download of a new album by one of our favourite bands
24. Homemade muffins
25. A certificate for treats from the farmers market
26. "I love you because..." sign - printed, laminated (you can write reasons using dry-erase markers) and turned into a fridge magnet
27. Lips & moustache photos props for fun photos
28. Socks from his favourite men's wear store
29. Retro gum
30. A picture frame for the aforementioned photo
31. A small album for birthday notes from friends
32. Birthday notes from friends
33. Date night
34. Sparkler candles
35. A birthday cake!
What do you think? Would you put this much effort into a gift?
Have you ever created a countdown gift of your own? I would love to hear about it - leave a comment and share your story!
Want more inspiration?
(+) For gift ideas for fathers and for the man in your life, be sure to visit my Pinterest boards.
(+) Need inspiration for creative ways to celebrate? Join 270 + subscribers of my monthly e-mail newsletter Thoughtful Celebrations - with exclusive content not found on the blog. Can't wait to see you there.